Home Forums Protect US Workers Forum & Stories It's not just IT, H1B is everywhere. Oil&Gas jobs are worst affected now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #2765 |

It’s not just IT companies, H1B is abused everywhere. A lot of H1B holders are working as Engineers and Designers in Engineering consultancies. Hundreds of thousands of local workforce is sitting for years without job at home due to the recent oil price down turn. But lot of H1B workers are still employed in Houston and all over the country in Oil&Gas jobs. It is unfortunate that when local people gets laid off and foreign workers are still enjoying the job. It is estimated that 10 million H1B workers are in US. This means that this is not a temporary work visa, but they managed to file for Green Card and continue working after the first 6 years of H1B validity.

We are just short of week (1st week of April every year is the H1B application date) to get another 85,000 people entering US and replace the local workers. These are not cheap labour, they are getting at least $60K an year where as most Americans work for much less than this amount. Also many companies in oil&gas outsourced projects to India and Americans lose their jobs. So this is blow from both sides, first H1B attack and then outsourced project. These are all semi skilled or unskilled people coming in. And they manage to continue in this country forever. This is huge abuse. Next generation of Americans are going to be beggars in front of these H1B people.

Profile photo of rcpatriotrcpatriot
    Participant

Hi Matthew,

I agree with you. Its everywhere. That’s why we need to go beyond just talking about it on this site. I am really hoping that Sara will continue to help lead this fight.

Profile photo of John LewisJohn Lewis
    Participant

Why limit the discussion only to H1B visas? Companies such as Citigroup use external contractors such as First Derivatives to hire thousands of workers on E2 Investor visas. These immigrants displace US workers earning a much higher wage. E2 visas have no salary cap. So my colleague earning $120,000 was replaced by a Citibank E2 visa holder earning $30,000. This is unfair to US citizens that pay their fair taxes and a misuse of the Investor visa scheme.

Profile photo of rcpatriotrcpatriot
    Participant

Absolutely, John. And thanks for shedding some light on that; as I was unaware. This forum is good for gathering information. Hopefully, more folks will share there knowledge here. I am dedicated to going way beyond this forum and establishing a cohesive counter attack. If you are interested in stopping this modern day slavery ploy, let me know…..

Profile photo of Chris H. NguyenChris H. Nguyen
    Participant

I have been outsourced and laid off twice in my 21 years of working in IT (Mostly Private sector). Most currently, I was cut from Southern Ca. Edison (electric utility) in April 2015. We knew it was coming in the beginning of 2014 when the CIO announced IT Transformation and knowledge transfer. I went back to LA County ISD in May 2015 and feel safer until UCSF Med Center employees were cut in Feb 28, 2017. I’ve kept in touch with some of them and they have moved on but some are suing UCSF for being outsourced. It was demoralizing having to train my foreign replacements via in person and WebEx sessions for the overseas ones. They did not know much and nothing at all regarding technical troubleshooting. In short, it was like teaching my parents about IT. I blame Southern Ca Edison and TCS (Indian outsourcing company) for this. They didn’t have to do it and it caused all of 3000 IT employees and contractors their jobs, livelihood. I don’t have any animosity against my foreign replacement I was training BUT I feel no compassion towards them. How can one feel compassionate for the person that’s replacing you and you had to teach them all you know. It’s outrageous!! Lately, SCE’s former retired CEO Ted Craver got a new position for Duke Energy’s Board of Directors. Craver will eventually Outsource Duke’s IT like he did with SCE, EME. He’s a finance guy and a bean counter. Does not care about human capital BUT more on profits for him, stock owner’s equity.

https://news.duke-energy.com/releases/duke-energy-board-appoints-ted-craver-as-board-member

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.